Monday, February 16, 2015

A Pig -- Up Close and Personal

A Return Visit to the Pig on Oak Lane


Today I went back to see the pig on Oak Lane and get some better photos. She was in the mood to pose today, so I thought you might like to see her. Even though she appeared to be somewhat afraid of me and at first ran when I approached the fence, she finally got curious enough to come take a closer look at this human creature pointing a camera at her. I had to be very patient and quiet to keep her from running away again.


A Pig -- Up Close and Personal



She finally came right up to the fence sideways as you see in this photo. But that still seemed to hide a lot of her. I was amazed at the amount of noise she made. I can usually hear her before I see her because she is loud. When  she snorts, she sounds like an old tractor that has stalled and is trying to start again. ( Listen in the video below.)


A Pig -- Up Close and Personal



Just to let you know what these pigs sound like, I made a video on one visit to them. Here it is.





This pig decided to push her snout right through the fence, as you see below. I decided she couldn't top that, so I moved on down the road to see what else I could find. Stay tuned.

A Pig -- Up Close and Personal


 If you think others might enjoy these photos, why not share this post? There are sharing buttons below. The image below was designed to share on Pinterest.

A Pig -- Up Close and Personal


Have you raised or had any experiences with pigs? Why not comment on it below so we can all enjoy what you have to say?

3 comments:

  1. I have not raised pigs, but I remember helping my dad feed them on the farm. They were quite noisy, as you say, and stinky too. I remember the scent of the grain mash in the bucket.

    Dad poured it over the kitchen and garden waste he had shoveled into their trough.

    He took me right into their pen, or perhaps I climbed over the wooden fence and got in by myself. That part is a little fuzzy.

    I remember the warmth of the pigs bodies as they leaned against me. At first I was afraid, but the pigs somehow reassured me. It's true. I was just a little thing and didn't know we aren't supposed to be able to communicate with animals. They seemed quite happy to be with a little kid, and I felt safe with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't the size of the pigs intimidate you? Or were they small ones? I saw a sow on a friend's ranch that was almost bigger than me and certainly outweighed me as an adult. Thanks for adding this bit from your personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were huge! At least to little-girl me, they seemed huge. I could have ridden them like a fat horse. I remember the snout of one coming up to my nose.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...